Casa Vinicola La Fornace

Stasio 2023


Sangiovese 50%, Aleatico ~10%, Malvasia ~10%, Grechetto ~15%, Trebbiano ~15%



Predominantly clayey and sandy soils.


Spurred Cordon - Palmette - Guyot


Approx. 2000 vines/ha for older plantings


This has been called the most unfavourable vintage of the last century, and we agree. Unfortunately, in 2023 we only harvested 10% of the entire potential quantity due to a series of factors that sabotaged the entire production from the very first budding stages, which is why we chose to produce only Stasio, giving up Fornace and Nova in this year. In April May June and July the humidity gradually rose due to a cyclical alternation of rain and great heat. This created the ideal habitat for fungi such as downy mildew first and then powdery mildew, which progressively attacked the leaf, the stalk and then the berry.


The harvest took place in a week in mid-August, the grapes were picked at a time of unfinished ripeness, we wanted our sparkling wine base to have very high acid values. Obviously manual harvesting with careful selection of the bunches.


Immediately after harvesting, which took place at the same time for both white and red grapes, the grapes were regularly crushed and destemmed directly into the press that presses all our grapes every year. This is for 80% of the mass, the remaining 20% was instead hung (vin Santo style) waiting for it to dehydrate and collect as much residual sugar as possible. Once these grapes are ready, towards the end of the year, we will make juice from them, which once added to the already fermented wine will restart the fermentation of our sparkling wine, thus making the most of all our grapes. Immediately after direct pressing, the entire mass was placed inside the steel tanks where fermentation took place correctly, kept at low temperatures to ensure proper preservation of the freshest and most floral aromas, with some pumping over aimed at healthy oxygenation of the wine. During the Christmas period, the addition of the so-called ‘liqueur de tirage’ was arranged, which in this case was the juice of our dried grapes, with the aim of directing the second fermentation in the bottle. The morning after the addition, the wine was immediately bottled, and then waited a year for the moment of disgorgement, during which time the bottles were periodically moved by moving the yeasts more and more in the direction of the bidulle of the cork.


After a year of internal re-fermentation, we began the disgorgement phase, in which each bottle was individually disgorged: the solid part deposited at the bottom, composed of the yeasts now at the end of their role, was then separated from the liquid part that had now become finished wine.

try it

Buy our wines!

Form acquisto vino